1. How am I showing up? (1x this week) Early in the week, set aside about 30 minutes to complete this Self-Assessment Handout to help you gain insight into how you show up.
2. “Stuff” that can get in the way of showing up (nightly, for the week).
Part 1. During your day each day this week, pay attention to how you show up in your interactions (include all types of interactions: IM, email, hallway conversation, or meeting). Notice whether any of the following behaviors is part of how you show up:
- Agree or say yes when you don’t really mean it
- Don’t speak up in a meeting even though you have something to say
- Decide not to take an action because you worry you will “look stupid”
- Criticize an idea or say no without working a bit harder to come up with a solution
- Stop listening or otherwise disengage when the group doesn’t listen to your idea or goes another direction
Part 2. Each night this week, take five minutes to reflect on interactions earlier that day when you noticed any of the listed behaviors. Take a moment to write in your journal what you noticed and how it might have affected the energy in the room (yours and/or that of others).
The behaviors listed here tend to get in the way of showing up and contributing. They are often a sign that you might be hiding and a call to examine whether you could be more engaged in some way. Remember, the point isn’t that the behaviors discussed in this lesson are all bad, all the time; rather, the point is, you want to use awareness of how you show up to spend more time in the driver’s seat with regard to the choices you make about what you say, do, and believe.